Each post is little more than a paragraph. A story of kindnesses large and small, though, really, mostly small.
Hard to say what's greater, the stories themselves or the thought of all the folks who took the time to send in their fine examples of people going out of their way ---- to be receptive, supportive, congratulatory, wise and welcoming --- and sometimes all of the above.
As a reader, it reminds me that I would not be where I am today without the generosity and kindnesses, large and small, of so many along the way. These are just a few, a very very very few:
- The faculty member who insisted I be his TA so I could get funded the first semester of grad school. Otherwise, I'd have never set out on this path.
- The friend who connected me to someone doing a special journal issue on a subject I specialized in, getting me my first real publication.
- The folks in Northern Ireland who took me in, gave me office space and a project to work on when I was a relatively unskilled MA student.
- The mentor who supervised my primary field for free from hundreds of miles away because my institution didn't have an Irish historian.
- The colleague who sat me down and described in minute detail the ways in which I am a good teacher, based on mandated/pro forma classroom observations that were part of a performance review.
What about you? Was someone kind to you, just because? Did someone go out of their way to provide encouragement, connections, suggestions for funding or places to publish? Who shaped your journey?
Share the love, everybody. Share the love!